Friday, February 4, 2011

Chopping Board Update Pt. 2 - RX 78-2 Gundam ver. OYW



I'm basically 99% done with the kit, well, except for the weapons. Honestly, because of my limited shelving space, unfortunarely I just leave the weapons unbuilt or on a container. Actually I'm still trying to figure out "taming" my Wing Zero Custom's wings 'coz the dude is taking too much stage space. But for this one, of course he has to have his stuff on him, he'd look naked without 'em for sure.




The inner frame of the leg has this semi preassembled parts. Had difficulty on the orientation of the pistons and the part where you have to pull out a small nub-like plastic that eventually serve as a tool to extended the pistons. Argh!




Oh, and by the way. I broke one peg on the side skirt (on the left). I can't remember putting stress or pressure on it, it has limited movements anyway. I still don't know why... 



Notice that the panel line was half way done, just the torso and up. I did use a Grey Gundam marker on this one. Should've done enamel wash on this kit, it's a ver. OYW for Pete's sake!!!




I'm not really digging the color of the backpack and the weapons as well. I'll definitely do some paint job on this kit in the future!


 The beam saber handles were done only after the photo shoot.


 Ouch!
If you've recently built any 90's 1/100 HG kits and decided to work on a MG and start with this kit, you'll definitely won't be lost on the panel-lining department. This kit, unlike the ver. Ka and 2.0 ver., has more panel line details to boast, and it does! It's one the reason why I chose this kit, and cheaper than the ver. 2.0 being the other. 

Personally, the proportion of the ver. OYM is (so far) much better than the other 1/100 scale versions out there. The bulk and features is an almost 10 for me, plus the number of weapons that Ban Dai threw-in on the kit. The articulation is decent and very playable. However, there are two things that might serve as a disappointment for you guys planning on getting this kit. First, this one doesn't have a core fighter or even a core block. What you'll be getting is a standard torso and a hatch that would show what could've been the core fighter's cockpit. That's it. Actually, it wasn't a surprise for me since I did some research on this kit (personal tip) before buying it, and I wasn't really bothered without it. So, just a heads up for you guys. 

Second, the color of the parts Ban Dai chose on this kit has a story of its own. Unfortunately the pictures here failed to show the actual color selection of this kit. Well, except for the backpack, which is a very good example. So here’s the thing, unlike traditional Gundam colors, this one has a pinkish Red on the actual red parts; light Blue on the actual Blue parts; orangy Yellow on the actual Yellow parts (which I forgive); and the most obvious is the yellowish White for the body armor. Strange huh? Later I found out that there are actually two colors version of this kit floating around, and the other having the original color scheme, which I wish I got in the first place. 

Anyway, after taking the picture of the kit, the "white" armor color kinda grew on me and I'm less irritated now after looking at so many times. It's just that those darn blue-ish Gray on the backpack and weapons stands out like a sore thumb! Definitely, once I start painting, this will be on my priority list.


Done!

No comments:

Post a Comment